New Provider

Those who get paid for caring for children in their home are running a business. It doesn't matter if it's called Kith and Kin, Exempt Care, Legally Unlicensed Care, or Family, Friends and Neighbor Care. It doesn't matter if the person is only caring for relatives, or for one child of a friend. It doesn't matter if the amount of money paid for child care is less than $100 a year. If money is exchanged for the care of children in the home of the caregiver, then the caregiver must face a variety of business responsibilities.

Kith and Kin caregivers are often unaware of their business responsibilities when they decide to care for children. This lack of understanding can create problems of federal and state taxes, exposure to the loss of homeowner's insurance, greater risks of liability lawsuits, and conflicts with parents over payment.

Return to Business Center